Sunday, April 12, 2015

Introduction




Welcome to our Kindergarten Vogue blog! My name is Arturo Aviña and I am a kindergarten teacher with the Los Angeles Unified School District.   Back in 2002, I graduated from UC Berkeley and found myself at a crossroads.  I was contemplating applying to graduate school to continue my studies in psychology, or becoming a social worker.  Although both paths had their appeal, the thought of taking either one caused me a bit of anxiety.  They just didn’t feel right.  It wasn’t until I went to bed one night and literally had a dream that gave me piercing clarity.  In my dream, I was a teacher.  As simple and as cheesy as that may sound, it was one of those dreams that you wake from feeling elated and inspired.   I knew that morning that I wanted to become a teacher and a year later, I began my teaching career in a kindergarten classroom at Mayberry Elementary School in Los Angeles.

While at Mayberry Elementary, I was heavily influenced by hard-working, creative teachers who had a tradition of ending their school year with a play.  For me, directing my students in a play became the biggest highlight of my school year.  I loved it so much that I eventually started an afterschool drama club and had the opportunity to produce plays with kids in kindergarten through 6th grade.  These productions were some of the most rewarding of my career. 

Due to declining enrollment at Mayberry Elementary, I was displaced and transferred to Olympic Primary Center near Downtown Los Angeles.  As if that weren’t heartbreaking enough, I later received a pink slip from my district after 9 years of service due to budget issues.   I was demoralized by all of it and ready to leave the profession, but I loved my group of kindergartners and was determined to end the school year on a high note.  I bought a video camera so that I could record our final stage performance, a kindergarten interpretation of Madonna’s “Vogue.”  I posted the performance on YouTube and what happened next was amazing.  The video started to get shared and a week later, The Huffington Post was writing about it!  My pink slip was rescinded and my faith was renewed. 

I returned the next school year with newfound motivation and since then, we’ve gone into overdrive with plays, performances, and film.  My interest in the performing arts lead me to develop a YouTube channel that showcases the work and talent of my students.  Being an avid pop music fan, I strive to blend pop music (Madonna being my favorite) into our shows to create performance pieces that both children and adults can enjoy. We hope that viewers enjoy our performances as much as we've enjoyed creating them.

After twelve years of teaching kindergarten, I have decided that it is time to take the next step in my career.  I am currently seeking to add subject matter authorization in English to my multiple subject credential so that I will be allowed to teach theater on a full time basis with LAUSD. 

Coincidentally, after taking a few online inventories on personality, and teaching/learning styles, this choice fits well with my choice to teach theater.  I am an INFJ (introverted, intuition, feeling, judgment) personality type.   I have found that teaching theater and planning for productions involves deep thinking and concentration (introversion), an ability to see potential and possibilities (intuition), an ability to value and appreciate individual talents (feeling), and the capability to make decisions (judgment).   I believe that my personality type allows me to see the creative potential in my students and allows me to find ways to use their strengths in productions. 

After taking the teaching-and-learning styles survey by Felder & Solomon, I found that I am pretty balanced in three of the four domains, which makes it easier to cater to a variety of learning styles.  However, I rated particularly high as a visual learner.  Since most people are visual learners, I am able to meet many of m students needs through my use of visual aids, props, and demonstrations. It makes sense considering that theater is a very visual art form, but as an instructor, I need to make a more conscious effort to reach the students that are stronger verbal learners.  Incorporating more extensive verbal and written explanations would be useful as well as having students work in groups.  

That being said, I look forward to my growth as an educator and hope to continue with creative ventures in theater.  In the meantime, check out some news articles written about our kindergarten extravaganzas... 








1 comment:

  1. Arturo,
    So happy that you are being pulled into teaching theatre/English as you were pulled into teaching kinder. Place the classics into their original formats and have at it! I certainly appreciate the quality of your writing!

    ReplyDelete